UTEP collaborates with many universities around the world for activities that enhance the University's educational goals including but not limited to student international experiences and international research. To formalize these relationships, it is necessary to follow all applicable procedures, policies
For more guidance and details, contact us at email@example.com.
Click to download PDF.
Proposal and Approval Process
1. Contact the Academic Agreements Coordinator at the Office of the Provost to determine if there are already existing agreements with the proposed institution.
2. Discuss the initiative with your Academic Agreements Representative designated to your area to confirm support for the initiative.
1. Prepare a draft agreement using the UT System pre-approved Academic Agreement templates. The use of these templates will speed up the approval process. If the templates do not meet the scope of your agreement, please discuss available options with your Academic Agreements Representative. On occasion, the partnering institution may provide the initial draft. Please ensure the agreement draft is in a Word document.
2. Complete an Approval Form with all required signatures indicated.
3. Submit the draft agreement and the Approval Form to your Academic Agreements Representative. The Representative will facilitate communication with the Office of the Provost.
4. The Office of the Provost will review the draft agreement and route it to the necessary UTEP offices for review and approval. Depending on the necessary signatures, your Academic Agreements Representative will receive feedback within 2 to 6 weeks.
The agreement draft should remain unsigned and in Word document format at this step of the process.
1. Upon receiving the final (or updated) agreement, the Academic Agreements Representative will forward the agreement to the faculty member or initiator of the agreement.
2. The faculty member or initiator of the agreement may now share the final (or updated) agreement with the partnering institution to review or approve. Changes to the UTEP agreement should be marked with tracked changes in a Word document and returned to the UTEP Academic Agreements Representative.
3. The College Representative should return the revised or approved
The agreement draft should remain unsigned and in Word document format at this step of the process.
1. Following the agreement of all partnering institutions, copies of the final agreement will be provided to the Academic Agreements Representative to organize securing signatures from the partnering institution. The UTEP President, or designee, will sign last.
2. The Academic Agreements Representative will be provided with an original copy of the fully executed agreement to send to the partnering institution.
Academic Agreement Representatives
|College of Business Administration||Laura Uribarri|
|College of Education||Dr. Joyce G. Asing Cashman or Susana Aguirre|
|College of Engineering||Dr. Norman Love|
|College of Health Sciences||Dr. Joel Cramer|
|College of Liberal Arts||Chris Loya|
|College of Science||Dr. Nancy Marcus|
|School of Nursing||Dr. Laura Rodriguez or Dr. Diane Monsivais|
|School of Pharmacy||Dr. Jacqueline Navarrete or Olaya Hernandez|
Types of Agreements and Definitions
Agreement of Cooperation (Memorandum of Understanding)
An Agreement of Cooperation is a
An Agreement of Cooperation generally establishes an understanding between the parties, a mutual desire to work together in the future and collaborate on an agreed-upon goal
Recommended for a detailed partnership. Affiliation agreements often serve as a foundation for future specific program or project agreements between UTEP partner institutions. Affiliation agreements often include details about collaborative research projects, student exchange, academic programs, collaborative academic development
This type of agreement establishes the details regarding a Study Abroad program, such as the number of students participating, tuition arrangements, housing, student learning activities, academic credit, and point of contact for the study abroad coordinator on both universities
Establish the details of
Agreements that allow a
Agreement to establish and detail a relationship between two institutions to award degrees from both UTEP and partner institution upon completion of the established coursework and other terms and conditions of the agreement. These programs may require additional accrediting agency approvals
Alternate Process Agreements
Prior to beginning the process, please be aware of the types of agreements that are initiated by other UTEP offices. The following offices will help facilitate your request.
Office of Research and Sponsored Projects (ORSP)
ORSP will initiate agreements related to
For clinical or practicum training for UTEP students at clinics, hospitals or similar organizations, contact Athena Fester at firstname.lastname@example.org or visit the Affiliation Agreements webpage for more information.
The Purchasing Office will initiate agreements related to the purchase or sale of services or products. Visit the website for more information.
The VPBA initiates agreements related to:
- Special Event/Production Agreements
- Facility Use Agreements
- Interagency Cooperation Agreements
- Lease Agreements
- Athletic Employment and Contest Agreements
Office of International Programs & Study Abroad
This office will initiate agreements related to study abroad/away experiences (e.g. faculty-led, student exchange). Contact Dr. Dania Brandford-Calvo at email@example.com or visit the department's website for more information.
Tips to Speed Up the Process
Most agreements can be finalized within one to three months; however, in some situations finalizing agreements can take as many as six months. Before initiating an agreement with another university and submitting it for approval, follow the tips below to help avoid delays and expedite the process.
Point of Contact
Ensure that your Academic Agreement Representative is engaged in all steps of this process. The Office of the Provost has designated an Academic Agreement Representative for every college, school or area that generally initiates academic agreements. This individual will be the liaison between the requestor and the Office of the Provost throughout the process. Academic Agreement Representatives are trained and well versed to help facilitate your agreement. Toggle to the Academic Agreements Representatives tab to contact your liaison.
Download the Academic Agreement Proposal and Approval Process
Required Form (Addendum)
Academic Agreement drafts must be accompanied by an Approval Form. The form should be complete with all required signatures and fields indicated. Agreements presented without an Approval Form will be held back in the approval and review process until the file is complete.
Download the Approval Form
Draft agreements must be in a Word document format. We recommend using a UT System pre-approved template to expedite the review and approval process.
Edits to Agreement
During the negotiating phase of the process, a partner institution may require revisions to the agreement. To help reviewers easily identify edits and comments, ensure that your draft agreement is in a Word document format with track changes.
We recommend the use of the UT System pre-approved templates to help speed up the process. If the templates do not meet the scope of your agreement, please discuss available options with your Academic Agreements Representative. On occasion, the partnering institution may provide the initial draft.
Academic units should be sensitive about providing an opportunity for the partnering institution to obtain a native language translation of the English language version. It is the responsibility of the initiating academic and/or administrative unit to provide appropriate translations of draft agreements. For information regarding translation services on campus please visit the Translation Services Office.
Templates and Forms
Academic Agreement Approval Form (must be attached to all submissions)
UT System Pre-Approved Templates:
Agreement of Cooperation (English)
Agreement of Cooperation (English/Spanish)
International Affiliation Agreement
Study Abroad Program Agreement
Visiting Faculty Agreement (Outgoing)
Visiting Faculty Agreement (Incoming)
Frequently Asked Questions
College of Business Administration - Laura Uribarri
College of Education - Dr. Joyce G. Asing Cashman or Susana Aguirre
College of Engineering - Dr. Norman Love
College of Health Sciences – Dr. Joel Cramer
College of Liberal Arts - Chris Loya
College of Science - Dr. Nancy Marcus
School of Nursing – Dr. Diana Monsivais or Dr. Laura Rodriguez
School of Pharmacy – Olaya Hernandez or Dr. Jacqueline Navarrete
This process formalizes communication between faculty and offices involved in facilitating an academic agreement with a partnering institution or organization. Additionally, the process ensures agreements advance the institutional mission of the university, enhance UTEP’s standing in the academic community and identify institutional overlap.
If your agreement is urgent, please contact the Academic Agreements Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org at the beginning of the process. Explain the situation and the expected timeframe suggested. We will help to expedite the request as quickly as possible.
The process and communication between all institutions involved can be finalized within one to three months; however, in some situations finalizing agreements can take as many as six months.
Continue to follow the process and steps provided and attaching draft agreement(s) from the partnering institution.
It depends on the collaboration and agreement, there is not a standard time.
To renew or terminate an agreement, send a completed Academic Agreement Approval Form with a request to renew or terminate an agreement to your Academic Agreements Representative. They will
It is the responsibility of the requesting college and/or department to cover expenses related to the processing of an academic agreement. This includes but is not limited to postage, travel, translation fees
It is the responsibility of the academic agreement requestor to send a fully-executed copy of the agreement to the partnering institution.
Agreements may be translated into a foreign language for
Translation services are available through the Department of Languages and Linguistics. Click here for more information.